Hozenji Temple was built in 1637 (14th year of the Kan'ei era) in an area where places of execution and graveyards extended, which is known as Nanba, in Osaka's Chuo Ward, today. It came to be called "Sennichiji" (1,000 days temple) because of the "1,000 days of prayer" ritual that was held in order to soothe and comfort the spirits of those who had been sentenced to death and / or buried in the area. By extension, the town flourishing in front of its gates came to be called "Sennichi-mae" (lit. in front of "Sennichi.")
Time went by and, on March 13th 1945 (20th year of the Showa era,) Hozenji was lost to a fire caused by the first bombing of Osaka. The only statue that survived the fire was one of Fudo Myo-o (the God of Fire,) on which, after the war, visitors started using a ladle to pour water on.
In the course of time, the statue came to be covered in moss to the point that its face is not clearly visible anymore today. It became the symbol of the area under the name of "Mizukake Fudo-son," and it is still loved by a great number of people.